All About Sugaring
What is Body Sugaring?
Body Sugaring is an all-natural form of hair removal using a paste made from lemon, sugar and water. The paste is molded onto the skin against the direction of the hair growth, then quickly pulled off - removing the sugar paste, extracting unwanted hair and collecting dead skin cells. Compared to wax, body sugar allows for the hair to be extracted in the direction of its growth means less breakage and discomfort. It's more sanitary and reduces waste because there are no sticks or strips.
Why we LOVE Sugaring
Here are the Top Ten Reasons why we love Sugar!
1) Pure and Natural Ingredients : The sugar paste only contains sugar, water, and lemon as a preservative. It’s completely edible and all natural.
2) No Risk of Burning or Scarring : It is easy for wax to get too hot–and can happen very quickly. Due to wax being made of resin, it needs to be warmed in order to remove hair which can lead to you skin being compromised. Sugar paste is only warmed to about body temperature, which results in no risk of burning and less swelling, since heat draws blood and fluid to the skin even if no burning occurs.
3) No Sticky Mess! : Since sugar paste only contains sugar, water, and lemon, it is water soluble. If you’ve ever had anything waxed, you have probably noticed that sticky feeling you get after. This is a result of wax residue being left on the skin. It does usually come off within a day or two, but can be quite uncomfortable! Sugar paste dissolves immediately when water is applied. This means no sticky feeling for you and only smooth results!
4) Made for Sensitive Skin: Sugaring is 100% safe for all skin types, especially for those of you who have ultra-sensitive skin.
5) Sugaring is More Sanitary: When your Sugar Pro is ready to service you, gloves are worn at all times and one ball of paste is used per area to remove hair, then immediately thrown away along with the glove thats attached. This ensures that there is a less chance of contamination.
6) Less Painful than Waxing: With sugaring, the paste doesn’t stick to the top layer of skin. Instead, it adheres to hair and dead skin cells so there’s less risk of hair breakage and skin irritation. Because of this, some people report less pain with sugaring.
7) Sugaring Will Lead to Less Ingrown Hairs: Waxing breaks about one third, or 30%, of the hairs as they are removed. This means the hair breaks at or just below the skin’s surface instead of being removed at the root. Youll almost see immediate "regrowth" because these hairs were not properly extracted. During sugaring, the sugar paste is applied to the skin against the direction of hair growth. This allows the sugar to penetrate the hair follicle and seep down into your pore. Then, the hair is removed in the direction of growth. This means little breakage occurs, as the hair slides out effortlessly, leaving you smoother for longer.
8) Sugaring Removes Very Short Hairs: In order for wax to grab and remove hair, it needs to be about one quarter of an inch (1/4″) long. That is around 2 weeks of growth for most people. Sugaring has the ability to remove hairs much shorter than that–about one sixteenth of an inch (1/16″)! That is about 7 days of growth. This means you can go into your appointment with shorter hair and be smooth more quickly than you could with waxing.
9) Sugaring Leads to Permanency: Over time (and with consistent upkeep), you'll notice a reduction of hair growth. Even better, the hairs that do grow in will be thinner, finer, and more manageable. You'll need about about an eighth- to a quarter-inch of hair growth in order for the sugar to be able to catch the hairs. Just like with waxing, you'll have to be OK with a little fuzz in between appointments.
10) Aftercare is a Breeze! Daily exfoliation, hydration and moisture is key. With sugaring, it's crucial to exfoliate your skin to eliminate dead skin cells and avoid the possibility of ingrown hairs. Daily hydration and moisture is also very important. After your first appointment with your preferred Sugar Pro, she/he will have all the recommendations and aftercare instructions you need.
Sugaring is 100% Safe for all skin types, especially those of you who have ultra-sensitive skin. Overall, sugaring is a gentler experience than traditional waxing. Unlike waxing, sugaring only slides out the hair follicle itself and doesn't disturb the surface of the skin. Hot wax, or resins, attach to the hair and the skin, pulling skin cells with it as it is removed, and this makes it less likely to break off hairs at the surface.
If the wax is too hot, it can also burn your skin, especially in sensitive areas. Sugaring is a more gentle method of hair removal as the paste does not stick to your skin—it only attaches to the hair. This minimizes the amount of irritation to the area and pain during the process. The sugar paste is also more flexible than wax, which allows it to get all the way down to the root.
I'm sure by now you've heard about different myths when it comes to sugaring, so we've narrowed down the list to help you learn the facts and put your mind at ease! Here are our top 5 myths about Sugaring!
1. My skin will be sticky after the service.
FACT: Professional Body Sugaring paste is much easier to clean up than wax because it’s water-soluble. Since wax contains resins which can only be removed with oil, clients are usually left feeling sticky after waxing. Sugar can be easily cleaned up with water, so you will never feel sticky after your treatments. You’ll leave feeling clean, smooth and hair-free!
2. Sugaring is not sanitary.
FACT: Bacteria cannot breed in high concentrations of sugar. Even with no worries of cultivating harmful bacteria, we implement maximum sanitation procedures to prevent cross-contamination. This means no double-dipping in the sugar tubs.
3. I can’t sugar because I have diabetes.
Fact: The sugaring paste can only affect your hyperglycemia if it is ingested. While the paste is all natural and perfectly safe to eat, it’s best use is for gentle hair removal. Professional Body Sugaring is considered safe for diabetics because the paste is not hot and does not contain resins, which can tear the skin causing serious problems for those with diabetes.
4. Sugaring is a trendy fad.
Fact: The art of body sugaring dates back to the ancient Egyptians who considered a hairless body to be the standard of beauty. While waxing tends to be the mainstream hair removal method in the United States today, popularity and demand for body sugaring is growing. New clients seek us out daily in search of a natural method for hair removal after having very bad experiences with waxing.
5. Hair grows back thicker and faster after sugaring.
Fact: Body Sugaring treatments begin to diminish the hair follicle with regular visits, leading to permanency. The time in which clients will start to see refinement varies as everyone’s hair grows at a different rate. The majority of our clients return every four to five weeks to maintain their sugared skin
Sugaring Aftercare is important in keeping your skin smooth and clean in between your sugaring appointments. If you follow these simple Do's and Don'ts, not only will your continous hair removal be easy breezy, your preferred Sugar Pro will also thank you for it later.
#1 YES TO HYDRATION: Hydrate daily with a fragrance free and water based moisturiser. Make sure you're drinking lots of water; the more water you drink, the more plump your skin will be and the easier it is for your body hair to just pop through. If you are prone to ingrown hairs, hydration is one of the main key factors in preventing those pesky hair from turning in and causing a ingrown bump to appear.
#2 YES TO ROUTINE: Keep your sugaring sessions 3-5 weeks apart if you want to see hair reduction over time. If you just want to get sugared for special occasions, that’s great too, but do expect it to be a bit less dramatic hair reduction.
#3 YES TO EXFOLIATION: Start exfoliating your skin 48 hours after your treatment in order to remove dead skin cells, as these can block the route for new hair to come through and cause ingrown hairs. Gentle exfoliation twice a week is where it’s at.
#4 YES TO COMFY UNDERWEAR: If your treatment was a bikini sugaring service, in the 24 hours post treatment avoid wearing lace underwear or underwear that’s too tight – now’s the time to let your comfy cotton undies shine!
#1 DON'T SWEAT IT: Say no to any physical exercise in the first 24 hours after your sugaring treatment ( that includes sex! ) because the friction and sweat can lead to ingrown hairs or rashes. What better excuse to skip your morning run and have a lie-in instead?
#2 DON'T SCRUB IT: Avoid using any exfoliating scrubs or chemical serums in the 48 hours before or after sugaring, and keep perfumed skin products or anything with glycolic acid in it far far away from your freshly sugared skin.
#3 DON'T TOUCH IT: Refrain from touching the freshly sugared area for the first 24 hours as germs on our hands can cause infections. Avoid tweezing, shaving and epilating between appointments – let the sugaring angels take care of you!
#5 DON'T SPLASH IT: To reduce chances of bacterial infection, avoid pools and hot tubs for at least two days after your appointment.